Correct breathing is absolutely vital when it comes to making sure that you are getting a good flow of oxygen into your lungs. Life-giving oxygen is capable of cleansing the blood stream while energizing your entire body. As babies we are capable of breathing naturally and correctly, as we age throughout our lives we end up developing poor breathing habits or incorrect breathing habits that take this natural breathing away from us. The correct technique can luckily be learned and mastered as we get older as long as we are willing to exhibit a little patience.
There are numerous benefits associated with correct breathing. The breath is what we life on, it is the very stuff of our lives, and there are many different benefits that can be gained by learning how to properly breathe. Some of these benefits are:
- Breathing properly can cleanse our bloodstream,
- Breathing properly can allow our energy levels to increase naturally,
- Breathing properly can carry valuable vitamins and nutrients to all of the vital tissues in our bodies,
- Breathing properly can energize our organs as well as our muscles and other vital tissues in the body,
- Breathing properly can help us to exercise in a more efficient way, which benefits our entire body and overall health,
- Breathing properly can help aid in the smooth movements of our bodies,
- Breathing properly can help us to think more clearly and remember things more clearly,
- Breathing properly can enhance our muscle control.
When you inhale, you are bringing oxygen into your lungs. The act of breathing is also responsible for circulating blood all around the body. When you exhale, then, you expel out stale air as well as carbon dioxide and other gases. If you hold your breath while you are exerting physical effort in any way, then the carbon dioxide remains in your lungs and it accumulates in the body in such a way that it allows the muscles and other vital tissues in the body to become weakened. Holding the breath is also capable of negatively increasing the blood pressure, which can make you feel tense and also can waste your energy in bad ways. For this reason, it is vitally important that your breathing be rhythmic and continuous, especially during exercise.
Many people are not breathing deeply enough, but rather are only breathing into their upper chest and they are not getting enough oxygen into the depths of their lungs. It is vitally important that you learn how to breathe deeply in order for you to fill your lungs, ensuring that your body is getting enough oxygen that your body can be energized and purified properly. Pilates and other exercises like yoga can help us with this, by teaching us how to breathe more deeply and more fully with every breath.